As long as I live there will be something worth fighting for, worth writing for, and worth dying for.

Saturday, March 21, 2009

Insights into the King

It is such a beautiful thing to me when I can see that the Holy Spirit is trying to teach me something. I know we should always be learning but when I can see a theme and a specific topic it just rejoices my soul. My God loves me enough to want to teach me. To train me. He hasn't given up on me.

I have begun a Bible Study by Elizabeth George. It is regarding Mary and nurturing a heart of humility. It has been an amazing study. This morning, it covered the passage in Luke 2, discussing the taxation decree which caused Mary and Joseph to end up in Bethlehem. The fact was brought up that Caeser, an unGodly ruler, was used of God to accomplish God's will. God is literally in control.

As I read through my Bible, I started this morning in Numbers 1. I have never actually read Numbers. Being a math teacher, you think I would love the book. However, long lists of names and numbers never really interested me. My mistake. The first chapter of Numbers shows us that the nation of Israel was composed of hundreds of thousands of people. Can you imagine the chaos? Yet, God requires order. He gives them rules and instructions. He even tells them where they are to live and who can touch this and who can't touch that. God is a God of order.

I then read a couple chapters in Psalms. The title of the one was "God is ruler." I sat there staring at that title for a few moments. That is when it hit me: "God is trying to teach me something." So, I dove into the Psalms and read through the passage as it praised God for His sovereign and powerful control over all creation. He reigns!!

On to Proverbs chapter 21. Verse 1 "The king’s heart is in the hand of the LORD, as the rivers of water: he turneth it whithersoever he will." My entire devotion could have stopped there. It became very apparent to me that God was trying to remind me of exactly who is in charge here. He is in charge.

Then, on to the last chapter of the Gospel of John. Here, Jesus appears to His disciples while they are out by the sea. They have spent a worthless night fishing and are headed in for the morning when He calls out to them and tells them where to fish and they catch fish. This is also the chapter where we find the infamous, "Peter, do you love me" dialogue between Jesus and Peter. I love the closing words to the book of John. "And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen."

Wooohooo!! What a great God we serve!

No comments: